Sunday 31 May 2015

Homeward Bound, Catheters & Cot Sides


 It’s Monday 25th May, four weeks to the day since Julie was admitted to Arrowe Park Hospital with her blood clot on the lung, it’s been a tough time for her, initially there was no idea what was wrong, then the clot was found, her chemotherapy was suspended then platelet issues, low white blood cell count then the day dawned we knew would come but were dreading, that there was no further ‘credible treatment’ to fight fluff and we were moving into the palliative nursing stages. Throughout it all though with gallons of tears shed Julie has always bounced back and remains positive,

 
cheerful and she still has the desire to laugh at ‘death’ by enjoying herself in whatever way she can, last blog showed the smiley face on her toe courtesy of the amazing ward 26 team, and yesterday lol the face took on ‘lipstick’..
 
 If you’re ever in hospital I’d ask you to remember that Nurses are human so be nice to them, none of us like being shouted at or demanded of, they’re Nurses not skivvies nor servants, they’re highly trained professionals and they’re there to make you comfortable and hopefully aid your speedy recovery so they can get you home. If things aren’t right then fine raise your concerns but ask for a discreet word and have it away from the patient’s bedside where just you and the nurse can hear each other, you are both entitled to that level of dignity and privacy & remain calm also, please not as we occasionally heard, please do not swear at them. We always find ‘working with the team’ pays dividends. A good example is why start ringing your buzzer when you can probably reach for that cup or plan your next trip to the loo and not wait until you are so desperate. Julie would often say to the nurses, “When you’ve finished handing out the lunches could you please sort me out the commode?” Not rocket science but amazing how many seem to appreciate this and I never thought I’d say it but it seems it’s the elder generation that have suddenly lost their manners….
So back to Monday and I’ve headed to the ward early as we don’t have a precise discharge time, things have to be done, a supply of drugs to go home with, final checks, in Julie’s case a catheter fitted and then there is arranging an ambulance to bring her home, amazing and despite my previous blogs criticisms of the discharge process this worked perfectly with Jan from the discharge team informing Julie & myself we were ‘good to go’ and the Ward 26 team were so slick in making everything happen and keeping us informed. So many Nurses were coming to see Julie giving her hugs, lol I got in on the act too, felt rather spoilt by all the attention but there is a sincere warmth and friendship with this team now, such was the bond tears were falling and it was emotional all round. Julie’s ‘partner in crime’ Hannah, she’s clearly been hit quite hard knowing Julie is ‘deserting her’ so much so she’s heading down to the Cafeteria and Hospital front with Mum & Chris and I’ve agreed to let them know when the ambulance crew are collecting Julie and where the ambulance will be located, neither of the girls want to get emotional on the ward bless them.  I’ve made a couple of trips to the car with Julie’s personal belongings and on hitting the ward there is suddenly a flurry of activity, more Nurses appear “Julie the ambulance crew are here for you”, more hugs, Kisses all around, Nurse Kim W is determined to see Julie right down to the ambulance, such is the bond she’d have come home with us too if she could. It’s fair to say it was a very emotional time as we left the ward. I’d already messaged Hannah for Julie wasn’t being discharged via the front door there is a discharge suite at the rear of the hospital. We got down there and no sign of Hannah, Andrea & Chris, I’m under the threat of death if Julie leaves the hospital without them saying goodbye. The ambulance crew were brilliant and said they’d hang on for a few minutes and they had to secure Julie and her stretcher. Kim & I legged it around the front of the hospital, no sign of H,A & C! I ran into the front of
Hannah  & Julie in the ambulance
the hospital and they were in the coffee shop, being an overweight out of condition asthmatic I was like a wheezing knackered old greyhound as I barked out “quick Julie’s ambulance was around the back and ready to leave. ‘Thankfully’ Hannah was in her wheelchair and I think Chris and Andrea were considering entering the 100 metre dash in the next Olympics, lol I jumped in my close by car and drove around. I got there and Hannah was being wheeled into the back of the ambulance for a most poignant goodbye, these two are now friends forever however long forever will be… Andrea & I hugged, Chris & I did the bloke thing and as Hannah exited the ambulance I bent down to hug her, I felt her tears on my cheek I’m not sure if she felt mine; it’s daft for it’s just the moment, we will all meet again but this day is charged with emotions.. I followed the ambulance calling my Mum Maureen (yes I have a voice activated hands free kit) who is patiently waiting at home for us.
I’d already warned the ambulance crew that no way would they get a stretcher through our door; there are two steps into a small vestibule and then a right hand turn with two steps through our huge front door. I suggested they’d need one of their special chairs. On arriving I bought them into the house so they could see their route, the dining room cum Julie’s new bedroom had been cleared, I’d removed two sections out of our huge (12 seater) dining table and relocated it. The guys were comfortable with it and within minutes Julie was in bed. I called the community Nurse team to let them know Julie was home, they were on their way.  Disaster time! Julie is ‘panicking’ at the lack of cot sides on the bed, there are large triangular wedges that Velcro to the mattress to prevent patients rolling out of bed’, I’d previously been told that cot sides are now banned in community nursing, comes down apparently to health & safety as a patient had caught their head in between the bars and strangled themselves. It was clear this was something Julie was going to panic about, she has become quite dependent on everything in the hospital and with her condition deteriorating and her mild agitation even with her drugs she is still severely fretting about this, I spoke to the nursing team about it and the only solution they could come up with was moving Julie’s bed out of the window against a wall, despite the room being around 20 feet long including the bay, no section of wall is long enough to accommodate the bed, besides that Julie wants to be in the window, there were one or two other concerns that Julie was ‘mithering’ about, one of the Nurses (Jan I think, forgive me if I’m wrong I’ve seen so many new faces in the last five days) & myself said to Julie that its early days, we need to let things  ‘bed in’ and see how she copes and we could make changes as necessary but right now, nothing is that important it needs fretting over, well except the cot sides and this is an issue. I’ll say at this point again, I cannot fault a single Nurse, Sister, Carer or the professional visitors I’ll tell you more about shortly, I truly cannot fault them they are amazing but again the system seems to be the issue, its rigid almost black or white, well we shall see… I was also prepared to leave it twenty four hours to see how things went, despite what some may think I am ‘considered’ I do not act on impulse. Ooooh it took a few minutes to register but the newly painted window frames went down well but hahaha ‘Mrs Bouquet’ had picked up on the paint that had run on to the glass or had sneaked under the masking tape, it’s too wet to scrape off yet.  Julie is delighted that the black paint has gone!
It’s fast apparent too that it’s going to be hard work looking after Julie, hard only in the aspect of getting in to the routine. It’s worth any sacrifice though to have my wonderful wife back in the house even if we can no longer share our bed, at least we can still hug and cuddle to our convenience. We won’t leave Julie alone now, at night someone will be sleeping in the room with her now, tonight it will be me! Julie had just treated herself to an all singing all dancing chair that has two electric motors on it, it tilts it raises, I swear if it had a gearbox and steering wheel you could ride it in to town! This will be my new bed tonight. We are getting three community nurse visits a day, we are so grateful for the service and these truly amazing people/team.
Night time came and we settled down for the night, it’s so good to have my princess home, I watch her from my ‘bed’ as she drifts off to sleep, I follow suit, it seems though I have gathered a sixth sense of being able to sleep but also hear every time Julie moves, I reckon every mum reading this is saying “Yep, we know what you mean”…
Tuesday morning & by six we were both awake and I was making tea for the lady of the Manor not long followed by breakfast, porridge.. yukkk even with Manuka honey and blueberries.  I had to go in to work today, I’d booked the rest of the week off, we were meant to be at dear friends Andrew & Beci’s wedding in County Durham which was spreading over two days, we’d long accepted Julie couldn’t go but she was insisting I went on my own. I hadn’t made my mind up and our hotel room was still reserved but with Julie’s fretting and just being home I was struggling, as  I drove in to work I realised I’d have to sacrifice attending the wedding despite desperately wanting to be there. Reluctantly I cancelled the hotel room and then called Vince, Andrew’s dad and broke the news to him.
Work as you would expect was taken up with a lot of enquiries about Julie, I’m touched by the concern, late in the day I saw my boss who expressed surprise I was in but the last week of the month is my busiest and being off the rest of the week I needed to put in a week’s worth of work in a day, I worked slightly beyond ‘normal hours’ but I’ve achieved what I needed to, I’d even had time to check out cot sides; the saying is #WhatJulieWantsJulieGets, I value the work that the nursing team are doing but Julie is stressing about her cot sides, she deserves better and with the above mantra, well I don’t care who it pees off Julie is getting them, I called the company and they’re ordered for next day delivery. I got home and our dear friend June (aka Scousebabe) who had volunteered for ‘Julie sitting on Wednesday & Thursday had arrived, she was staying over for tonight & Wednesday, she and my mum were entertaining Julie, then friends Richard & Sharon from the Isle of Man and their 3 children arrived, they're heading to France & as the Isle of Man Ferry comes in to Liverpool/Birkenhead they kindly called in  I was so thrilled to see all of them. I slept on the reclining chair again with Julie..
Wednesday arrived and we are into something of a routine now. Early on the cot sides arrived, Julie although she wants them up is fretting about what the nurses will say to the point of asking “What if they stop coming because of them”, I reassured her, I told her they will be fitted and if necessary I’ll remove them for every community nurse visit and then drop them back on the bed on their departure, I assured her the nurses were too committed to a care programme and they would not stop coming to her, to you and me this is a very irrational thought process but we aren’t stuck in a bed 23/7, extremely poorly and a beast called fluff now marching on unchecked.
 We’d been referred to a palliative care support team called Hospice at Home, two of the team came out to see us but whilst here the community nurses arrived and of course they take priority, the two nurses from Hospice at home and myself retired to the lounge to continue our chat. The team can supply support to the carer(s) in the home by supplying a dedicated team that sit with the patient to allow the carers to go out, go rest, whatever you want to do for a couple of times a week mornings or afternoons, this makes an amazing difference to the carer’s ability to conserve their energy and lol remain sane, let me tell you this journey is stressful in so many ways so any help we are being offered I/we are accepting. The Hospice at home (HAH) team also enquired if we would welcome ‘overnight sits’, they arrange this via The Marie Curie Nurses, this will make a big difference to my ability to do my job without falling asleep at my desk lol, that feeling has hit me many times over the last few months, I remain exhausted but the requirement to ensure Julie is cared for overrides my need for sleep, I’ll be able to sleep to my heart’s content in the near future…. Later in the day I had a call saying that Marie Curie would support us with up to four night visits per week, the Hospice at home team added they would do their best to fill the other three nights as Julie’s condition deteriorates, as I write this on Saturday afternoon we’ve already experienced two night sits and tonight is a third, the teams around us are amazing and  obviously see the urgency to arrange and start supplying this level of support and yes, I will remain eternally grateful for the support.
Julie told me after the HAH team left that the nurses had asked Julie if the long box with the image of the cots sides on asked “are those the cot sides Andy has ordered?” Julie answered yes, nothing else was said but Julie noted the less than impressed look on their faces. We had lunch and yes I fitted the cot sides. late afternoon and the
 
second Nursing team arrived, I explained about the cot sides, I told them I didn’t expect them to use/handle them and if they were a problem to them, well I’d drop them down or out the brackets and refit them after they left but empathised they were staying in situ, this team had no issue with them whatsoever… The evening shift and the same again, this team had no issue with them; I have to say it’s a relief; I do not want to be in conflict with the teams visiting and professionally caring for Julie.
Later that night and our first night sit Nurse is here, Lynn called around 9pm to confirm her visit and was planning on arriving at 10pm and staying until 7a.m. I suggested she come at 10.45 pm so I could show her round the house as Julie currently doesn’t settle down to sleep until around 11pm. Upon her arrival I showed Lynn around and explained whatever she wanted food or drink wise to help herself, its least we can do is offer refreshments to these teams. I headed to bed and I can tell you I went out quicker than a light. I’d said I’d be up for 06.30 to facilitate a swift departure.
Early Thursday morning and Lynn was calling me, I shook my head and got out of bed in a panic, Julie unusually needed the commode but as that involves the hoist Lynn was looking for the slipper bed pan, these aren’t the most dignified of things and well, they lack dignity although in an emergency they are useful. Lynn and I discussed the hoist, as a former hospital Nurse she had experience of them, I’d previously been shown how to use it so we decided we would hoist Julie out of her bed and on to her commode. We worked as a great team the three of us and within two minutes Julie was sited on the commode, she told us we were as efficient as the nurses, high praise indeed, we left Julie to have her privacy until she called us and then after ensuring she was refreshed and cream applied to an area on in her groin that was sore bless her, again we returned her to the comfort of her bed and Lynn was still out of the door by 07.00. The princess deserved her first cup of tea of the day.
Mid-morning Jan from the community nurse team called to discuss a few points about Julie’s care plan and to check how we were getting on and how I felt Julie was coping and about the support for me, we are so grateful. I think I am currently viewed with a degree of trepidation, the team know I was not happy about the discharge debacle and they know I’ve dug my heels in over the cot sides, I can understand their wariness but I am not the ogre I am probably coming over as, the reality is I’ll bend over backwards to work with them and anyone else BUT Julie’s wishes come first and so long as I consider what we are asking for as reasonable then I feel duty bound to ensure Julie has whatever she wants in her remaining days, if that offends anyone then sorry, that’s just going to be tough. I took the opportunity of the call to discuss the cot sides with Jan for it was her who had explained they are not in the community now and why, as she hadn’t seen them though I expect it had been reported back that I’d installed them I explained as above I’d remove them if required so the team did not have to handle them but they were staying on. She was lovely, she explained hers and the team’s concerns on the basis that if Julie had one of her infamous seizures she could get her left arm or foot caught in them and cause herself injury but she confirmed she had discussed this with Julie as part of a risk assessment and Julie wanted them so they (the nurses) were fine with them as we understood the risks. The reality is the team have yet to see Julie have a seizure also whilst I accept they could happen again that a) as Julie is all but left side paralysed now the seizures are only presenting themselves in her left shoulder, her neck and head, b) someone is in the room with Julie 24/7 and c) Julie sees them as a comfort and added security if she were to have a seizure, her fear of falling out of bed is too great to ignore. It seems the potential storm has blown over. We have to be guided by healthcare professionals but where we know our family and loved ones better and we are aware of the risks well my view is and I will always insist on things being done our way. I know Julie better than anyone, I can see a certain look I know something is wrong, I am not going to do or allow anything that jeopardies the love of my life’s remaining time with me/us, I’ll add again my battles are against a system not the excellent, amazing people who work within the framework.
It’s Friday morning and things are a little ‘testy’ Julie is fretting about things that normally she wouldn’t but even a few things on the dining room table are becoming an issue, she thinks they’re in the way of the soon to arrive nurses who have to mix up Julie’s controlled drug sedative, despite there being only two of them and our much reduced in size dining room table  which can still seat six these things are still an issue, these are small things that suddenly become much bigger, this is funny writing it now but at the time it wasn’t, Julie’s frustration was at the point that she snapped at me and the words ‘getting divorced’ and ‘Well I’ll go and live in the shed then’ came out of Julie in pure frustration (lol we don't have a shed…), I can understand her anger but it’s no fun being on the receiving end of it  and jumping forwards a day I had to say as more conflict ensued, “You are not going to get an argument out of me over this” lol Julie disagreed she thought an argument would be a good idea so I ended up walking away to calm things down. These are very testing times for us both…
The hospice at home team are coming to spend time with Julie this afternoon, ha, we’re commandeering everyone in to voting for Julie in the Merseyside Women of The Year Awards, to be honest once they read just part of the blog they’re thrilled to vote for her. An In blog plea… Please, Please #VoteJulieShute all you do is go to www.merseysidewomenoftheyear.co.uk/vote If you are on twitter please use the hash tags  #VoteJulieShute and #MWOTY not only vote for Julie but raise the profile of this fantastic event and its organising  team, the judges and all sponsors especially Michael W Halsall Solicitors who are sponsoring the only public vote award.. There are some amazing women in the final; you’ll be less than surprised that I’ll add but none so amazing as my battling wife.
On arrival of the hospice team my mother & I popped out, we had the hospital’s syringe driver, the community nurses had replaced it with one of their own, these things are expensive so I took it back to the ward (26) where I was greeted with yet more hugs and everyone wanted to know how Julie was, some of the gang wanted
me to take a picture to show to Julie, happy to oblige, here it is, a selection of the Ward 26 ‘Angels’ we also needed to get some shopping from Sainsbury’s and as Julie loves watching the wild birds in our small front garden, I popped in to Homebase; we’ve already got a feeding station plus ‘fat blocks’ (not blokes) dangling from the small trees, the view immediately in front of Julie is quite barren so I thought if I get a 10ft length of timber and a couple of hanging basket brackets and attached the 2 by 2 to the wall she would have a great view of the bird equivalent to a Michelin star restaurant. Bizarrely for an urban garden we’ve had great tits, blue tits, sparrows, doves, Robins (Julie’s favourite) Blackbirds, the odd pigeon, the occasional unwanted Magpie and we’ve had two Woodpeckers in the garden too. Bird Watch a la Birkenhead.  So after a quick ride out, out came the drill, rawlplugs, screw driver and hammer and 30 minutes later a new bird feeding station is up and open for business.
Tonight we have a lovely lady called Cathy as our Marie Curie ‘Julie Sitter’, she’s lovely, a slight glitch tonight, the community nurses are running late, normally they’re here around 9pm, the clock ticks on and at midnight with Julie fretting as she needs to be hoisted out of bed on to the commode, I called the out of hours service and explained our concern and hoped Julie hadn’t been forgotten, about five minutes later we had a call saying they were running late but would be with us shortly, much to Julie’s relief they were, once Julie was sorted and settled this was around one a.m. I headed to bed; my head barely touched the pillow and I was asleep.
Saturday, I’m downstairs for six forty, Julie is awake and ready for her first cuppa,  Cathy sets off for her own bed with our sincerest thanks, I’d had just over five hours unbroken sleep which is more than most nights in the last 21 months. The time seems to just speed by, its soon lunch time and Julie thankfully has her appetite back, she often raves about my cheese omelettes, lord knows why but today I made her in fact all of us cheese omelettes, I sautéed some Jersey Royals and we had sweetcorn too. As I was mid-way through Julie’s fondest friend Letty aka Olive arrived, she’s been trying to visit for a few weeks but a combination of work or illness has (Sensibly) kept her away. Julie tucked in to her meal and announced she could have eaten two of them so I put her to the test and passed her my plate which had around 40% of my meal left, Julie made short work of that too.
I keep saying #WhatJulieWantsJulieGets the latest example is she loves a malted drink from her childhood memory bank called Milo, I’ve previously bought it in Tesco in Horwich but it’s not sold in our Tesco I discovered on a recent hunt for it. Its popular in the southern hemisphere also in the Caribbean, I had a feeling that the huge Tesco in Toxteth would stock it, they did so one for now lol happy Julie.
Julie had been mentioning to the district (community?) Nurses that she felt when in the hoist/On the commode that her catheter was being bypassed she also explained she had an ache in her groin, the mid-afternoon team felt she may have an infection but as getting a urine test done at the weekend was a no go they would keep an eye on things, she may need antibiotics. When the 9pm team arrived the lead nurse said he’d check the urine with a stick test, his opinion was that there was an infection and he’d get the out of hours GP service to call us, by the time they’d left and the GP called it was pushing 10.45. I chatted with the Dr acting as a go between for her and Julie, she too felt Julie had an infection and luckily they had a supply of antibiotics at the out of hours centre at APH, I drove up to collect them lol I was at the reception desk before the drugs were. Anyway pushing 11.30 I was walking back to the car when I stumbled across Hannah & her Nurse, Steph, ‘getting some fresh air’ we obviously needed to chat, they were surprised to see me and feared Julie was back in A&E, I explained all. I was home in five minutes and Julie had her first antibiotic, I spent 15 mins writing the blog then exhausted kissed Julie goodnight and hit my bed & pillow. Around 01.00 Cathy called me , there was a problem with Julie, her bed was soaking and smelling none too pleasant, It’s clear the catheter has been bypassed bless her, I called the emergency out of hours number and was informed a district nurse team would be with us soon and they’d change the catheter. I suppose it was around forty minutes after the original call and the team were here and got straight into sorting Julie out, Cathy was standing by with a bowl of water, flannel and soap & glory, it’s a pleasure to witness these teams at work, the care & compassion is amazing… Cathy had even given Julie a bit of a foot pamper!
So I think I got back to bed around 2.15 – 2.30 and I have to be up for around 06.45 as Cathy leaves at 7.00. I made Julie a cuppa and snuggled up under a faux fur throw on the recliner, I would catch more Zzzzzs.. It’s a good job ‘sleep is for wimps’ hahaha, more like it’s a good job today is Sunday and the plan is to cook Sunday lunch and do bugger all except rest and run round after my Princess.
Finally… You may not have heard but Julie’s blog burst through the 35,000 views mark yesterday, so 35,000 thank you’s to each and every one of you. The most read blog to date with over 1,100 views is the #VoteJulieShute I’m hoping each view equals a vote, please ask your friends, family, work colleagues to vote, vote, vote, we have until 6th June to vote. And Thank you.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment