Tuesday 11 November 2014

Never ignore even the most simplest of things when it comes to your health

Hi there, this is 'the other half' Just to get some meat on the bones of all of this and without stealing any of Julie's thunder, I'd like to share my side of what turned out to be a pivotal day in our lives. As the blog is to try and assist others on this same path what I'm about to share may sound simple advice but I bet at sometime we've all thought "Ah it's nothing don't worry about it" There is a lesson here...

10th July, 2013, A Wednesday evening, I'm driving home from my office 40 miles from home, its been a normal day. Julie and I have chatted numerous times as usual and we'd decided as soon as I got home we'd head to Asda to do some shopping, it's only 3-4 mins drive from home, so my usual response was "I'll call you as I exit the Mersey Tunnel" which means meet me outside the gates.

It was a sunny day so I wasn't undluly concerned to see Julie sat outside on the door step as I pulled up. Once in the car as I drove down the road the following conversation took place.

Andy: Hi hunny, how are you.
Julie: Ok I think though the strangest thing just happened, (laughing) I was on the top floor (we have a big four storey Victorian house - yes just two us rattling around it) and I went to get a sheet of paper out of my printer and my arm wouldn't do what I wanted it to do!
A: really? Tell me more
J: Well as I reached for the paper with my left arm it moved back towards my body from the wrist. I felt funny for a second or two and thought oh my god I'm having a stroke! I got down stairs and did the Stroke 'Fast' test in the mirror (more on this below for those asking what's that?) I was fine but I didn't want to risk passing out in the house and the door locked so I sat on the step waiting for you.
A: (By now we are just in Asda's car park, I stopped the car) So how do you feel now?
J: Fine, its weird its gone. 
A: How does you arm feel?
J: Well it still feels a bit heavy.

Without speaking I spun the car around and whilst some may say it wasn't the right thing to do as an experienced driver who regularly drives 60,000+ miles a year, I headed for our local A&E about four miles away at speed. I remained fully focussed but something told me speed would be important here, waiting for an ambulance was not going to be an option and after all it 'wasn't anything too serious was it?'.....................

Despite explaining to the A&E receptionist I thought Julie may have suffered a small stroke there appeared to be no immediate rush but at times like this five minutes can seem like 2 hours.

Soon Julie was in with the amazing A&E team who (at the time) felt she was having a 'Mini stroke' (Medically known as a TIA or its full name a Transient Ischemic Attack) More here. 
Link to NHS TIA info

Soon after Julie was transferred to the Hospital's Stroke Unit for further observations.

This was the start of our journey but the lesson learned was ignore nothing, Julie looked 100% she was laughing, we both did as she described her arm as she went on to call it 'flipping' but I thank the lord that my gut feel was this wasn't something that just happened and was going away. Seriously, I'd say to you all, risk looking stupid but be safe, NHS Staff are very understanding and with that note I'll add my sincerest thanks  & gratitude to the A&E Team & Stroke Ward Team at Arrowe Park Hospital, Wirral. 


1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written Andy & Julie, sharing your story is going to help so many people
    Karen x

    ReplyDelete