Friday 23 October 2015

Caught in No Man's Land


 
 
Friday 11 September, the house feels weird, the visitors and carers stopped instantly the day Julie died, one day we have the daily army of carers and nurses plus friends visiting the next nothing, no one.. Yes the phone is busy and there are things to do of course. Today I had to register Julie’s death….

Early in the day Maureen and I were both packing for our respective journey’s for today after almost five months Maureen is leaving Shute Manor for her home in rural Warwickshire, me I have to pack for the weekend trips of taking Maureen home and making sure she is settled in to home safely then I am driving to Grimsby to see ‘our family’, I feel very vulnerable right now ‘family wise’, There is no blood bond so in theory I could be isolated now, through my no nonsense approach of trying to get family over I’ve not made many friends sorry, lets change many to any… writing this several weeks later I ask myself as you probably would “In hindsight Andy would you have reacted differently?”, Truthfully I’ll answer No, I have no regrets about wanting family and friends from afar to visit Julie, I was delivering Julie’s message but yes my considered opinion too, I have no regrets, everyone had every opportunity to make the journey and now, after the event,  it is for those that didn’t come to wrestle with their own consciences, some I feel just looked at the news of Julie’s death as just part of any other day, not Julie’s children I hasten to add, I know how they feel but for some people the impression I got on calling to inform them of Julie’s death I imagine them sitting in a café eating breakfast with their mates and upon my breaking the news them expressing their sorrow as I hang up the I imagine their next words to be, “Pass the ketchup mate, ta”…. We all act differently and no one made me god or Judge, Jury & executioner overnight, I have a very clear conscience myself though.

So 3.30 came and I was at the Council office to register Julie’s death. I have all the paperwork, the medical certificate, I’ve taken my forms of ID, and I’ve taken bills, my passport, our wedding certificate & Julie’s Birth certificate. It’s a bizarre atmosphere in the registrar’s office, it’s extremely business like almost lacks the compassion for the occasion of registering a death, it seemed to lack the happiness too when we registered our intention to marry at this same office. Yes it’s a serious time and whether the need for accuracy drives the solemnness or not I don’t know. All details are checked and entered on to the system, you are then asked to check a copy for there is no going back once the form is printed and the actual certificate is issued. This issued you are also supplied with a certificate authorising cremation. The whole process probably took less than thirty minutes then it was home to collect Maureen and for us to head south. We locked up Shute Manor and we were on our way.

I’m used to driving, even now I drive 18,000 miles a year and in days gone by that’s been as many as 60,000, Friday afternoons are never good. It’s only as we get about half way home that the stop start nature of the traffic dragged out the exhaustion in me, I was visibly tired, the non-stop nature of my life for the last few months had caught up with me in a few minutes. I shook my head to clear it and made it to the next services to grab a coffee and to chill, if I closed my eyes I swear I’d sleep for a week..

A good hour later we headed to Maureen’s and was glad to see her front door & drive.

Saturday and I drove Maureen out for lunch to Hatton near Warwick then we drove out to the cosy village of Fillongley where Henry is laid to rest in the Churchyard, we had brought some of the flowers from home, they were only going to go to waste as I was now away for a few days. I hate the waste of flowers pretty as they are, more on this shortly.

My visit to Grimsby was twofold; One, I needed to see our family, Julie’s children and her dad too and I was with the Funeral Directors Monday to confirm the funeral plans. Whilst Julie’s wishes were to be cremated in Grimsby and she had already put her outfit out a long time ago and she had expressed about her glasses her only other wishes expressed were she wanted people to dress brightly not in black and she did not want a religious service, all of this would be honoured but I’ve always felt I did right by Julie and her funeral would be no different, the problem and I’ve seen it time and time again is ‘too many cooks spoil the broth’ as they say,  at this point the burden for the cost of the funeral would be rightly borne by me so, my view was, this will be done my way with no interference and frankly whilst I was never deliberately going to set out to upset people it’s inevitable this will probably happen, thankfully I’ve never cared for winning popularity contests, with me it’s about doing the right and in my view logical thing.

I hugged Maureen, told her I loved her and set off for my long drive to Grimsby, I went straight to Julie’s dad’s. We cried a little and chatted mainly about one of Julie’s brothers not being able to make the funeral because of a long standing commitment, I’ve previously vented my spleen about people not coming to see Julie when she was alive, when she wanted to see them but my view on death & funerals is surprisingly different. I truly do not believe you need to be at a funeral to pay your last respects or to say goodbye to someone or to remember them, fine take time out at the time of the funeral wherever you may be to reflect and remember but truthfully and for some the right thing is not to upset yourself by staring at a casket as someone drones on at the front. I’d rather Julie’s brother or brothers for two could not make it in the end remembered Julie whilst being somewhere or doing something where they could remember her in their own private moments, truthfully it’s ok..

When I announced Julie’s death and the funeral date and time I specifically specified no flowers (told you I’d come back to this).. I personally find the floral tributes spelling out Mum, Aunty, Grandma whatever as tacky, they’re damn expensive too. Julie didn’t mind the odd bouquet of flowers but as they often turned up during her illness she would curse about them “I feel like I’m in the funeral home already”, also someone as popular as Julie was would be attracting a lot of floral tributes and it then becomes a competition of who can donate the largest bouquet and it embarrasses those with little disposable income, plus what a waste! Within 30 minutes of leaving the crematorium they’ll never be seen again by any of us, it’s a different matter with a burial for the tributes can cover the earthed mound on a grave but this was a cremation. The other factor and I don’t know, do I think differently to anyone else but floral tributes are not cheap, it could easily end up being around £2,000 worth of flowers probably enough sales for a nice holiday for a florist, sorry but I had better plans for the equivalent value.. I decided in stating no flowers that I would request donations to Clatterbridge Cancer Charity instead, I know Julie would approve and this money will do far more good than floral tributes would. I had decided though we would have 20 long stemmed red roses and each main family member would be given one to place on Julie’s casket, sometimes less is more and a single rose on a casket as it entered the crematorium would make a statement, that was my plan.

It’s amazing how things get lost in the translation though for Julie’s dad still weepy became even more tearful as he said “you’re not allowing us to have any flowers then”, I explained no that was not the case we would have red roses as above, but it was clear he was distressed, I drew a breath and asked “Bob, what would you want were it your decision?” “A wreath” came the reply, I shook my head, I hate bloody wreaths, at the same time Julie’s brother who lives with his Mum and Dad stated ‘”Lily’s”, Julie’s dad was still sobbing, I apologised “Bob, I’m sorry but I don’t like wreaths, but how about this, you can get sprays of flowers that are around three feet long to go on top of the casket, how about I order one of those all Lily’s?” To be honest it would be this or nothing, Bob felt this would be lovely and so I agreed to this subject to them being from the whole family as in no card on them, the tears stopped on both sides. I do know how to compromise… Bob shocked me then by handing me a sealed brown envelope, “I’d like to help pay for our lass’s funeral” he said, the contents were clearly substantial, I was not going to be crass enough to open the envelope and start counting money, I asked if Bob could afford this, he’s a pensioner and has his own house to support plus Barbara, Julie’s mum is poorly, I didn’t want to insult Bob and he confirmed he was ok with it all, I shook his hand and thanked him for his generosity. Whilst we are a generation apart, Bob and I live by the same moral values. Of everyone affected by Julie's death it is her dad I truly feel for, no father should be in the position of having to mourn one of their children..

I said my goodbyes we would speak before the funeral. I headed to Aaron and Vicky’s where Emma was with Olivia & Abbie, Bob & Chloe were Karting, five of our dear grandchildren were here though. This was emotional though the children are happy in playing for us grownups it’s a numbing experience. We hugged and chatted. I explained my plans for the funeral, well those I wanted to be common knowledge, I had some surprises for the day but they would be better as surprises on the day.

I explained I would be taking Julie’s service, she wasn’t religious and I’d previously attended a friend’s ‘humanist service’. The one thing that gets me is that unless you are religious and in church constantly the chances are whoever holds your service won’t know of you and will have fifteen minutes with relatives then take your service clearly with no passion or understanding and it’s all anecdotal, my own grandmother’s funeral the vicar ended up calling her Edna when her name was Ena, Julie deserved better than this, Julie would have better than this! I told the children and Emma mentioned Aaron would like to say a few words at the funeral, hmmm this wasn’t in my plan and I know already how emotional it will be for me to take the service, I’m not convinced Aaron appreciates how emotionally charged the service will be for him, but the right thing to do was to let him do something. I suggested he read his Mum’s favourite poem that both Emma and he studied at school, I can remember the excitement one night as Julie bounced off her bed went to the book case on her landing and stood there reading it to me with so much passion, I smile today as I recall that moment, I can remember the pink pyjama bottoms and the white t shirt top she wore and that infectious smile…

So all agreed and as the day drew in we hugged and I departed with “see you soon”, I cried as I drove off to my hotel…

Monday morning and I’m in Cleethorpes smiling as I drove down Cleethorpes Road Grimsby over the point that it became Grimsby Road Cleethorpes.. Julie would be giggling.. I met with Sue the funeral director, she was lovely, as she went to make me a coffee I spotted a laminated A4 sheet that said ‘Co-operative Member qualify for a 10% discount on professional services’ (subject to paying your bill on time). It costs nothing to join the Co-op being a member resulted in an £88 reduction on my bill! I’d chosen the Co-op for Julie was in the care of the Co-operative funeral team in Oxton Village near where we live. I asked Sue to arrange for Julie to be brought over to Cleethorpes at their soonest convenience, it was confirmed by Wednesday that Julie was safely in their care at Cleethorpes – Mission accomplished. Back to the day, we discussed the service, an eyebrow was raised as I said I’d be doing the service, this is a daunting thing to do for a lot of people, for me too but sometimes whilst I love to play the fool and Julie and I were like kids ourselves at times, for the funeral I’d need to be a grown up…

We discussed all points, music etc too, I was prepared.. I left clear in my mind that all was as it should be, there was one thing I hadn’t settled on I needed to mull it over but more on that later.

I drove home knowing it was only the 14th September and the funeral was a fortnight today, other cultures go from death to burial within 24 hours or in Ireland it’s three days, here it’s a long time, a long time to be in No man’s land…

No comments:

Post a Comment